Mediterranean Homesick Blues: The Other Temple Mount

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Other Temple Mount

In an earlier post where I went on the Holy City tour and wrote a load of post it notes of, well, notes, one insight the guide shared was that the Church of the Holy Sepulcher can be interpreted as a figurative 3rd Temple. So of course, I had to come back and get on top. But first, I visited a nearby Church with possibly the greatest view of the Old City. Count 'em, and pardon my heavy breathing...



Following the "climb," I walked into a side entrance before the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and was immediately greeted by Ethiopian Monks, pilgrimage groups, and once on the roof, I found a cistern! There's not much to say. The pilgrims were not English speaking so I couldn't follow along, but once on top I got this feeling of ascent, and I tried to get even higher than the Church roof. I managed to find an Arab neighborhood, but one of the monks told me I couldn't go in there. I guess I'll have to pay another visit...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Appearances