Day 2,3/4 Family Weekend #2
Five hours of sleep later, I found myself on a bus heading up to Michmoret, north of Netanya and south of Hadera, but along plenty of shoreline. There we spelled our names with weird objects (I won myself a chocolate bar) and rode horseback along the beach. How picaresque. On the way back we stopped at another beach, where I somehow managed to sit on tar and not notice it. So long pants.
I got back and spent one last weekend with my parents before. Being that it was my mom's last day, we took one more Shabbat walk to around the Center of Town, visiting the King David Hotel and admiring the unusual weather (warm and then ominous).
Saturday night, I went to the Euro Cup qualifying match between Israel and Greece at Ramat Gan Stadium, near Tel Aviv. The game went surprisingly fast because the clock doesn't stop as much in soccer, but the fans were the real treat. It was like an olympic game! Everyone was decked out in blue and white with flags on their backs like capes, hats with Jewish Stars, and even facepaint. Where were standing, the seats had no numbers, and everyone was standing on them anyway. The entire game, there was just about no sitting. Concessions included sunflower seeds hot dogs, and for the first time since arriving, I found something like fountain sodas. No alcohol, but lots of smoking, and lots of cheering. One side of the stadium would repsond to the other, repeating "ישראל נלחמה" meaning "Fight Israel" as well as Oleh! The game ended in a 1-1 tie, not good for Israel, but 'Nova made it the final four the next morning, and Israel's heading to Greece next week for a rematch!
No comments:
Post a Comment