Mediterranean Homesick Blues: Alone with the Stalactites and Stalagmites of Soreq

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Alone with the Stalactites and Stalagmites of Soreq

Only a few Jews remain in the Jerusalem Kivunim community. While the rest are off exploring and discovering Greece and Bulgaria, I dug into the web for a local sight that wasn't too accesible, but would provide an easy day of adventure. I found the Soreq Cave.

Located just outside of Bet Shemesh in the Judean Hills, and discovered by mistake during organized explosions at a nearby quarry, the cave contains a beautiful arrangement of stalactites and stalagmites.

The informational video explained that the cave was once under sea level, and water collected inside of it, softening the limestone rock and hollowing out a space. Then the ground was pushed up to 400m above sea level. Rainwater continued to penetrate the cracks of the mountain, but these drops collected carbon dioxide with the limestone, and once in the unique environment of the cave, with a specific temperature and humidity, they developed unique shapes. Stalactites are droplet formations on the ceiling, and stalagmites are the droplets that fall from the ceiling onto the ground. Sometimes the two even connect! Geological ecstasy!

Using my Kivunim National Parks membership card, I followed a seminary group of American girls into an english tour of the cave. However, I didn't read or hear anywhere that I had to STAY with the group. The cave contains a concrete path, and is relatively small, so I wasn't afraid I would get lost, and the path prevented damage to the formations. So I hung back as the tour continued on the path, to take some PICTURES, all the while absorbing the incrdible arrangements of the stones, and even feeling some droplets from the ceiling, continuing to shape the rock. Many of the formations had been associated with shapes, like Disney characters and animals.

What felt like ten minutes later, all the lights went out. ALL THE LIGHTS. The National Parks Authority had provided some technologies to maintain the same conditions in the cave before it was discovered. These included monitoring carbon dioxide levels, humidity, temperature, and installing DOORS AT THE EXIT.

Cursing under my breath, I pulled out my phone, and began to very carefully step forward on the slippery concrete path, sure that if I slipped, I wouldn't make it out until the next morning, and all I had in my bag were some Chewy Bars. I did enjoy for a few moments that same pounding silence I heard at Nachal Pratzim in the Judean Desert. Unfortunately, I knew that if I didn't get to the door soon, the guide would be gone, a my imprisonment guaranteed.

Long story short, I made it to the exit, pushed it open, and shocked the guide with my appearance. He must have thought I was some sort of Houdini.

The only drawback of the day was the cab ride. Since I couldn't take a bus to or from these pretty mountains, which I hear on a clear day provide a view of the Mediterranean Sea, I had to shell out a lot just to get back to Bet Shemesh...

On a final note, with the students gone, I had the chance to organize my photo library, and summarize the first couple of months of the program. Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Appearances