Mediterranean Homesick Blues: Living in the Theater

Monday, November 15, 2010

Living in the Theater

Lately, I've found myself exploring, if just for a little, Jerusalem under the art lens. Last night, the Jerusalem Theater was showing the new Woody Allen film "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," a comedy that explores faith as a source of meaning and stability. The film was projected onto a stage, and the average age of those in attendance had to have been in the 60's.

Tonight, after a bite out, I entered my hostel from an alternative entrance, just in time to make a spontaneous purchase: the 11th International Oud Festival was taking place in Jerusalem, and Bet Shumel was hosting an Arab-Jewish Youth Orchestra!

With very minimal exposure and information on eastern music, I slipped in and enjoyed the evening, eventually being able to break the sounds down into the three oud players, the eastern violinist, percussionist etc. The conductor was a man named Taiseer Elias. He's pretty accomplished...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Appearances