Mediterranean Homesick Blues: You Mess With The Zohan

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

You Mess With The Zohan

I thought I'd share a short story about my experiences with non-domestic haircuts. When I studied in Israel for five months in 11th Grade, about half way through the semester I thought I'd use one of my friends' steady hands for a free cut. What happened was an all around buzz cut, leaving me looking like a genuine underfed prisoner. Fortunately I was younger and it grew back in time.

Anyway, today I had my first "official" haircut outside of the United States, at a salon near campus, by an Arab barber, and all the while I kept thinking about Adam Sandler. 40 Sheckel, not too shabby.

In other news, the Dad returns home tomorrow, which means I have to plan an appropriate closing tour. I'm thinking underground Western Wall Tunnel Tours . Also, on Friday I'll be repeating another activity last done here in 11th Grade: Yam El Yam, or Sea to Sea. This four day hike from the Mediterranean to the Sea of Galilee means I'll be missing the Final Four match up between 'Nova and UNC, as well as Opening Day of the Baseball season, kicked off my the Phightin' Phils. Both of these events are taking place in the middle of the night, but I'll see what I can do. For more details of the trip, I provide below blurbs about the sites, and a map  . Last time the trip was summarized by hail storms and Paul Simon sing-a-longs. I wonder what I'll face this time around...

Goren Park
In the thickets of the Western Galilee and above the canyon of the Kziv stream is the Goren Park. It is the largest natural forest park in Israel. The most common tree in the park is the Oak tree.

Monfort Fortress
Monfort means "the strong mountain" and it definitely looks the part. The fort was probably built in the roman period but was a significant landmark mainly during the crusades (13th century).

Peki'in
Was established as a local council in 1958, and today has approx. 5,200 residents. Jews lived here for hundreds of years and it is claimed that it is the only Jewish settlement with residential continuity since the time of the second temple. Today, only a handful of Jews remain and one ancient synagogue. The majority of the residents in Peki'in are Druze.

Kziv Stream
Has water nearly all year round and is the largest stream in the Western Galilee. The stream begins in mount Meiron and ends at the Mediterranean Sea. In ancient times there were flour mills scattered throughout the stream.

Amud Stream
A stream in the Eastern Galilee which ends in the Kinerret. The stream is named after a massive stone at one of the channels which feed the stream. Today the stream is a nature reserve, 22 km long.

Tavor River
A river in the lower Galilee which begins in the Nazareth Mountains. There are 3 streams along the river in its lower part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Appearances