Mediterranean Homesick Blues: Kaleidescope Eyes

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Kaleidescope Eyes

After returning from Batya's, I dreamed that I missed what was planned for the next day.Then I woke, and I was lucky to be early. It was 4:45am. I got dressed, grabbed my camera, and met the group downstairs.

What followed was a day focused on "Visual Thinking." We were guided by Tobi Kahn, an internationally-renowned artist, excellent speaker, and very passionate teacher. He led us through the Old City, pointing out shifts in light as the sky welcomed in the sun, the moments where the shadows disappeared, the colors of the stone, the depth of the alleys, the lines on our faces, etc. The students and I indulged in the photo opportunities.

After a short break, we visited the newly renovated Israel Museum. Specific to our visit were a few pieces, including a new one done by Anish Kapoor, an Indian Jew known for the Cloud Gate super reflective Jelly Bean in Chicago.



We then visited one of Tobi's favorite pieces of all time, made by James Turrell. The piece reminded me of the Pantheon, but don't watch it if you plan to visit (that means you mom and dad)...









Inside the museum, we explored the "Still Moving" exhibit, playing with static and dynamic representations. We had lunch and went to Nachlaot, a collection of neighborhoods built about a century ago. Tiny pockets of insolar neighborhoods presented interesting depictions of life both economically and religiously, as well as a contrast the Old City stone.

We concluded at the Shuk in Mahane Yehuda, where I took a route home documenting every display of Sufganyot I saw... yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Appearances