Mediterranean Homesick Blues: Crazy Nights

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Crazy Nights

Hanukkah as I've seen is influenced tremendously from other traditions, even here in Jerusalem. From the Christmas-like lights, to the American-like doughnuts, to the gift giving (Secret Santa, Mysterious Macabbee, however you want it), not a lot is original or foundational (then again, all of these dark wintertime holidays were probably borrowed from other earlier traditions). Nevertheless, there's something special and simple about walking the neighborhoods of Jerusalem by the light of the Hanukkiot left out on the doorsteps of peoples' houses. Wednesday night I walked the streets of Nachlaot, a group of neighborhoods I visited just three days ago. I then visited the posh shopping center of Mamilla, and the sufganiot they had to offer, until I arrived at the Jaffa Gate to the Old City and the neon Chanukkia there. I ended on the rooftop of the Mamillah hotel.

The next night a group visited Gabi the assistant director's house to make potato pancakes. Even the buses wish you a Happy Hanukkah. It will be a real site to see when these candles and holiday spirits take Kivunim to Morocco on Sunday... Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Appearances